Fly fishing is a technical and challenging way to fish. If you are looking to get into flyfishing, the selection of gear and supplies required can be daunting. This article explains how fly fishing rods and tackle differ from that of bait fishing and breaks down the steps required to get started fishing with flies.
1. Establish what kind of fly fishing you want to do. There are several different types of rods, reels and lines for different types of fishing.
2. Go to a sports and outdoor store. Some of the big chains are Bass Pro Shops and Academy Sports. These stores will have all the gear you need. They will also have plenty of employees to point you in the right direction and help you select the right gear and equipment.
3. Find a local bait and tackle shop. These establishments might have slightly higher prices than the big chains, but the knowledge the owners possess will help you make sure you are buying the proper gear and equipment.
4. Shop online. There are thousands of sites online that sell fishing gear. You may even find a good deal on what you need on Ebay. With this option you most likely will not get any expert advice on what you are buying though.
5. Talk to someone you know that is an avid fishermen. Someone with a lot of experience will know exactly what gear and equipment you need. You never know, they might have some old gear and equipment that you could buy cheap!
Shop around. There may be some bargains to find if you do just a little bit of looking around.
Do your research. You never want to buy anything that you do not know anything about.