A fishing guide can make all the difference in the success of a fishing trip. Before you set out to fish an area unknown to you, make sure you research which guide is suited for your specific needs. Follow these steps to select the right fishing guide for you.
1. Decide what area you want to go fishing and what kind of fish you want to catch.
2. Search the Internet for guides that meet these criteria.
3. Visit several Web sites of local guides. Look for references and how long they have been guiding. Contact the references.
4. Contact local fishing supply stores for recommendations of guides in their area.
5. Determine if the guide offers different tours for various skill levels and if they will rent equipment to you if necessary.
6. Call the guide ahead of time to see if he can provide the type of fishing experience you are expecting.
7. Hire a guide who actually enjoys fishing, and not just earning a living.
Warnings: Each state requires a specific fishing license. Check with the guide ahead of time to find out what type of license you need. In most cases, you cannot fish without a license.