Fish come in all colors, shapes and sizes. They can range from a few centimeters long to a few yards long. They can weigh hundreds of pounds to less than an ounce. Identifying fish requires broad knowledge and lots of practice. These tips will get you started learning how to identify fish.
1. Read a selection of magazines and books that will inform you about fish in the area. Educate yourself on what you are going to see.
2. Locate and familiarize yourself with the parts of a fish. Being able to know where the dorsal, pectoral and pelvic fins are, as well as other parts, will help determine the species of fish.
3. Determine if you are dealing with fresh or salt water fish.
4. Find out if the fish came from a lake, stream or ocean. This will narrow your possibilities.
5. Compare the fish's size and color to those in your book or magazine. If the one in the book has pectoral fins further back than those on the hook, you will know to keep searching.
6. Check color and size of the fins to verify your findings.