Knowing your gear well is an integral part of fishing success. This article provides helpful tips on how to become more familiar with the variety of fishing gear on the market before you buy new rods, reels, and tackle. These tips also suggest activities to become more familiar with your gear once you have made your purchase.
1. Buy a rod and reel that have manuals and instructions.
2. Read the instructions while you are assembling and disassembling your rod several times. Repetition really does work. Do the same with other equipment you have.
3. Browse the fishing aisle and read the descriptions of items. Find out what the name of the thingamabob is at the end of the doohickey.
4. Ask the salesmen questions. Most likely they have already read the instructions and manuals for most of their products.
5. Drop a line with other fishermen at the local fishing hole. Listen and ask questions as you fish with them. You'll find that old timers love to pass on their knowledge.
6. Read books, instruction manuals, and fishing magazines. These will each have a wealth of information in them.